Kishori Shakti Yojana (KSY) for Adolescent Girls Apply @ wcd.nic.in/kishori-shakti-yojana
The condition of women, especially young girls in rural areas is not good. They do not get the basic facilities and this hampers their all-round mental and physical development. They suffer from malnutrition and are forced to discontinue education due to lack of financial support. Thus, the central government had implemented a welfare program that will cater to these requirements of adolescent female candidates.
|Name||Kishori Shankti Yojana|
|Implemented in||2000 – 2001|
|Started By||Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|Responsibility On||Ministry of Women and Child Development|
Key features of the scheme
- Empowering candidates of rural areas – The main objective behind the implementation of this program is to bring about a holistic and positive change in the lives of adolescent female candidates, belonging to villages, with proper education and training.
- Regular health examinations – As per the draft of this program, each selected applicant will get the facility of heath checkups at village health care centers or Anganwadi centers. This checkup will be done after every six months.
- Training to enhance vocational skills – All preferred candidates will acquire suitable guidance from qualified trainers so that they can augment their occupational skills. With a boost in this training, trainees will be able to acquire financial independence.
- Training to maintain optimum nutrition – The level of nutrition in adolescent female candidates is low as they do not have a clear idea about which foods to consume that will bride the nutritional gap. Under this scheme, they will be given knowledge about maintaining nutritional balance as well.
- Providing literacy training via unconventional methods – Many candidates, opting for this program, has not been able to finish their traditional education in schools. When these candidates enroll under this scheme, they will acquire education via non-formal methods.
- Exposure to social conditions – With proper training and education in all aspects, the candidates will become aware of things going on in the society. If they are well-informed about social circumstances, they will be able to develop themselves accordingly.
- Creating overall awareness – The education that these candidates acquire will give them a clear idea about how they can better them lives and elevate present status. With proper awareness, these girls will stand a chance to gain economic independence as well.
- Preventing diseases – As health care is the first concern of the central government, Anganwadi medical specialists will impart adequate knowledge about taking preventive measures to arrest occurrence of vitamin deficiency, goiter, and anemia in rural adolescent girls.
- Preventing early marriage – There is dearth of sex education among rural girls. It creates various health issues as young girls, below the age of 18 years become pregnant after marriage. By implementing this scheme, they will get information about sex education as well.
- Total number of beneficiaries – As of now, the implementation of this welfare project has been able to cater to the needs of 3.51 lakh female candidates who fall in the adolescent age group.
- Coverage area – The scheme will be implemented in 6118 blocks, all over the country. Implementation in all these areas will take place at the same time. The state authority will take part in operating this scheme in their respective regions.
- Financial assistance from central government – The central government will provide a sum of Rs. 1.10 lakh to each ICDS on a yearly basis. This money will be spent in training the applicants and organizing health examinations.
- Training providing agencies – The government of each state will have the power to make their own plan of action so as to provide the best results for applicants living in that area. They will get assistance from Anganwadi centers as well.
Eligibility criteria of the scheme
- Only adolescent female candidates – It has been clearly mentioned in this scheme that girls who have attained adolescence will get the permission of enrolling under this welfare program.
- Age related criteria – Only female applicants who fall in the age group of 11 years to 18 years will be permitted to apply for acquiring the benefits of this program.
- For poor families – This scheme has been implemented to carter to the requirements of young female candidates who do not come from financially sound families. Any candidate who desires to acquire this training must not have a yearly income shall not be more than Rs. 6400.
- Belonging to rural areas – Young girls living in rural areas will get an opportunity of enrolling their names under the scheme as these areas suffers from massive gender inequality and lack of facilities.
- School drop-outs can apply – Apart from needy candidates; girls who are not able to complete their education due to any financial constraints will also be allowed to enroll under this program.
Important documents required
- Aadhar Card – In case any candidate is interested in applying for this scheme, she will have to produce her Aadhar card. It will assist the verification department in checking personal details of the applicant.
- Income certificate – As there is an income related criterion, applicants will have to attach valid income certificates as well. Without this, they will not be allowed to take part in the scheme.
- Age proof – As there is an age related criterion, producing any document that will support the age related claim of each candidate is mandatory. Attaching birth certificate or Aadhar card will do.
- Residential documents – To keep a tab on the progress of this scheme and total number of applicants from each block, attaching a residential certificate has been made mandatory by the central government.
How to apply for the scheme
- Internet is not easily available in remote rural parts of the country. Thus, any eligible female candidate who is interested in getting the benefits of this program will have to apply via offline methods.
- They need to get to the nearest Anganwadi center and collect an application form. After this, they need to fill in the required personal details.
- Once this has been taken care of, the candidates will need to attach all documents required as per the draft of this program. These will assist in verification and selection of applicants.
- The form needs to be submitted at the Anganwadi center. The head of that Anganwadi center or the “Mukhya Sevika” will take the form and conduct the rest of the procedure.
- Before the final selection of the applicants, all registration forms will be sent to Office of District Program Controller. This officer will dictate the selection of deserving candidates.
With the implementation of this program, the overall status and living conditions will be bettered. Apart from vocational coaching, it will also equip them with required knowledge for leading a healthy life.