Vikalp Scheme of Indian Railways | Getting a Confirmed Train Ticket
Vikalp Scheme was announced in the recent budget of India. Vikalp Scheme is to help the waitlisted passengers of Indian Railways. The Indian Railway Catering and Tourist Corporation Limited (IRCTC) introduced a lot of facilities to help the passengers and Vikalp Scheme is one of them. The scheme has been implemented in Mail/ Express & Superfast trains in India. Currently this scheme has been launched as a pilot project in Delhi-Lucknow and Delhi-Jammu sectors.
What is Vikalp Scheme?
Vikalp scheme is mainly a scheme which will provide alternative train reservation for the travelling passengers of Indian Railways. Vikalp scheme will help the passengers to get into an alternative train if their original train tickets aren’t confirmed. This scheme will also help the waitlisted passengers of Indian Railways. Vikalp Scheme will be useful because it will allow the passengers to opt for alternative accommodation to get confirmed berths.
Mainly the train travelers of India will be benefitted from this scheme. Under this scheme a passenger will be able to visit their desired station or the nearby cluster stations with an alternative train. If a passenger has unconfirmed tickets under Indian Railways, they will be able to opt for availing the facilities of Vikalp Scheme. All the waitlisted passengers of Indian Railways will be able to get benefits from this scheme regardless of their booking quota and concession.
Important things to note
- Under this scheme the passengers are not guaranteed with any confirmed seats. The passengers will only be able to travel in an alternative train if an alternative train and berth is available.
- A passenger will be obliged to pay cancellation charges as per their berth status in their alternative train if they wish to cancel their tickets of the alternative train. A passenger will also be obliged to check their PNR status after charting.
- The passengers sometimes will be dropped in a nearby cluster station to their desired destination if they use the Vikalp Scheme.
- IRCTC will be able to transfer a passenger to any available alternative train. The alternative train is bound to start within 12 hours from the departure of the original train.
Procedures of Getting Confirmed Train ticket in Vikalp Scheme
- Vikalp Scheme is only available to those passengers who have unconfirmed tickets from their original train. A passenger will be considered as an eligible candidate for Vikalp Scheme if they are waitlisted on their original train after charting.
- A passenger will have to check their PNR status after charting. A passenger will have to check their PNR status to know if they were selected in an alternative train.
- A passenger will be allotted a berth in a certain train available within 12 hours from the scheduled departure of the original train. A passenger will be able to reach their desired station or nearby cluster stations.
- Either all the passengers in the same PNR will be allotted a compartment in an alternative train or none of them will be allotted a compartment.
Rules and Regulations
- A passenger will not be charged with any additional charges from the railways. Also, the passengers will not be provided any refund for difference of fare.
- In case a passenger has been confirmed a seat in an alternative train, their names will not appear in the waitlist of their original train.
- IRCTC will provide separate lists for Waitlisted and Confirmed passengers in a train. Also they will provide a list for the transferred passengers.
- There are no problems if a passenger wishes to travel with their original ticket rather a passenger will be allowed to travel on the alternate train with their original ticket.
- If a passenger is transferred to an alternative train under Vikalp Scheme, they will be unable to travel in their original train.
- A passenger travelling in an alternative train under Vikalp Scheme will have the same rights as a normal passenger and they will be able to apply for berth up gradation like a normal passenger.
- A passenger will not be able to apply for journey modification once their ticket is confirmed and rather they will be obliged to apply for a fresh ticket with their modified designation.
- A passenger will only be able to claim for refunds if they haven’t performed their journey in the alternative train. A passenger will be obliged to file a TDR request in case of refunds.
If a passenger wishes to know any information regarding Vikalp Scheme, they will have to contact the PRS Enquiry Counters. These counters are available in all the railways stations. Alternatively, they will also be able to gain help from Call Center of Indian Railways. Also they will be able to visit the official website of Indian Railways to get more information about Vikalp Scheme.
Summary of Vikalp Scheme of Indian Railways
|Scheme Name||Vikalp Scheme|
|Announced on||Union Budget 2016-17|
|Launched By||Finance Minister of India|
|Managed By||Indian Government & IRCTC|
|Aim||Providing alternative train tickets for waitlisted passengers|
|Trains||Mail Express & Superfast|
|Current Sectors||Delhi-Lucknow and Delhi-Jammu|
|Beneficiaries||Waitlisted Passengers of Indian Railways|
Now you can travel in Rajdhani under you normal train express reservation under this scheme, If you have a waiting list ticket and the same route Rajdhani train have some vacant then you might get this chance.
Railways extends “Vikalp” option to passengers booking tickets from counters
The Indian Railways has announced the revision of its reservation form, under which facility of availing train accommodation will be provided to passengers making physical bookings at the railway ticket counters. As per the authorities, initially the facility was only accessible for passengers opting for online bookings. With new revision, passengers making bookings at the railway ticket windows will be able to use same facility. The revision was officially made by Railway Ministry. Using the above mentioned facility the waiting list passengers will be able to make confirmed bookings for the journey. The scheme is termed as “Vikalp” Alternate Train Accommodation Scheme. The confirmed booking facility will be provided in alternate train to the passengers.