Swachh Bharat Abhiyan or Swachhta Abhiyan
- 1 Swachh Bharat Abhiyan or Swachhta Abhiyan
- 1.1 Key features of the scheme
- 1.2 Swachh Bharat Abhiyan in urban areas
- 1.3 Swachh Bharat Abhiyan in Rural areas
- 1.4 Swachh Bharat Cess and Cess calculator before GST
- 1.5 GST impact on Swachh Bharat
- 1.6 How to be a part of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan?
- 1.7 Swachh Bharat Application details
- 1.8 Government contribution towards the scheme
- 1.9 Akshay Kumar Launches Ad campaign for Swachh Bharat
- 2 Swachh Pakhwada
Mahatma Gandhi had a vision to create a nation that was free from filth of any kind. Keeping in line with this vision, the implementation of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan was undertaken by the present BJP government. Under the scheme, the PM urged the common people to add to the campaign with the help of proper toilets and eliminating the menace of defecation in open areas.
|Name||Swachh Bharat Abhiyan|
|Launched On||2014 (Gandhi Jayanti )|
|Announcement Made By||Prime Minister of the nation Narendra Modi|
|Place of announcement||Raj Ghat|
Key features of the scheme
- Tenure aim of the government – During the launch of the scheme, the PM made an announcement that the central government has taken a target of five years for attaining success in the program.
- Hours to be contributed per year – It was highlighted that to acquire the desired results, within the specified time span, the each person will need to invest 100 hours on a yearly basis towards cleaning activities.
- Eliminating open excretion – The main aim of the central government was to put a stopper on the issue of open excretion. It is an issue mainly in the rural and remote areas but some parts of the urban areas also suffer from the problem.
- Construction of proper toilets – For eliminating the problem of open defecation, the central government will invest a huge sum of money for the construction of 12 crore proper toilets. These will be fitted with pour and flush toilets.
- Eradication of manual scavenging – Even in this time, the practice of manual scavenging is prevalent in many parts of the nation. To put an end to it and to develop the social status of the people, involved in the practice, the success of the scheme will be elementary.
- Changing the viewpoint of the people – It is not easy to wage the cleanliness battle on a pan nation basis. It will not be possible if the mindset of the common people is not changed. The implementation of the program will bring about positive alteration in the views and will also bring in their ready participation.
- Getting contribution from commoners – Participating on a personal level is not enough and the implementation of the various features of the scheme will ensure that the common people can contribute both objectively and subjectively towards the program.
- Managing solid waste in cities – Solid waste is generated in significant amounts in all urban areas. Most of this waste is not treated properly. Under the scheme, proper waste recycling and treatment facilities will be set up in the cities.
- Different colored bins – The scheme also implemented the use of waste disposal bins at all public and residential places. The color coding of the bins is unique and makes metters easy. The blue bins will collect dry waste and the green bins are for collecting liquid waste.
- Acquiring the assistance of private enterprise – The government also desires to bring in the private business companies and enterprises in playing their part towards the success of the endeavor. The companies can contribute financially and otherwise.
- Central and state government sponsored scheme – Though the central government has initiated the scheme, it will be equally implemented in all parts of the country. Both the state and the central governments will contribute towards meeting the expenses.
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan in urban areas
- One branch of the main yojana is the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (Urban). The part deals with the improvement of the state of affairs in all cities and peripheral areas.
- All activities of this branch will be monitored by the Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs. The http://www.swachhbharaturban.in/sbm/home/#/SBM is the official website of the scheme.
- All details about the guidelines, expenses and the implementation techniques can be acquired by clicking on the link http://www.swachhbharaturban.in:8080/sbm/content/writereaddata/SBM_Guideline.pdf.
- The central government, with the assistance from the state authorities will cater to the requirements of 1.04 crore families. It will construct around 2.6 lakh civic toilets, and 2.5 lakh community lavatories.
- If an area is too congested for the erection of private toilets of each home, then the construction of public lavatories will be undertaken. All places that are often visited by tourists will have proper toilets for the use of the public.
- Apart from this, the establishment of properly managed solid and liquid waste recycling and treating plants will be done in all urban cities.
- The central and state authority will provide Rs. 4000 and Rs. Rs 1333 for the erection of private lavatories in personal homes.
- All the states, which are located in the North – Eastern part of the country, will get more monetary assistance from the central government. The state needs to provide Rs. 400 only for construction of personal toilets.
- In the case of public toilets, the state will need to pay 13.33% of the total expenditure while it will be the responsibility of the central government to provide 40% of the expense. In this case, the portion of cost to be borne by state authorities of North Eastern state is only 4%.
- The central government wants to provide the people with the latest toilets in these new lavatories. Here, the traditional method of cleaning is not required. All you need to do is pull the flush lever and water will be poured automatically.
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan in Rural areas
- A different division has been established for looking after sanitation requirements in villages and remote areas. The name of this division is Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (Gramin).
- It is dedicate towards bringing about positive changes in the thinking pattern of the villagers and educate them about the importance of maintain cleanliness.
- The activities of this branch will be monitored by Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation. Click on the link http://sbm.gov.in/sbmreport/home.aspx# or http://sbm.gov.in/sbmdashboard/IHHL.aspx to acquire details.
- What once was Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan has now been developed and revamped and given a new name.
- In all rural regions, the central government will construct 11 crore 11 lakh toilets lavatories. All solid wastes will be recycled in a manner that production of environment friendly energy and bio-fertilizers can be done.
- Special incentives and grants for deserving candidates, with BPL, APL, OBC or minority cards will be assisted financially for the construction of private toilets.
- This erection will require almost Rs. 12,000 out of which Rs. 9000 will be supplied by central authorities and Rs. 3000 will come from the state coffer.
- In all the areas that fall in the North – Eastern region, the majority of the expense will be endured by the central authority while only Rs. 1200 will be charged from the respective state finance departments.
Swachh Bharat Cess and Cess calculator before GST
- Meeting the expense of an elaborate scheme as this is not easy. Though the central and state governments will contribute, it is necessary to produce constant sources of funds.
- Thus, central government announced that it will charge 0.5% as Swachh Bharat Cess. The cess will be charged on the amount that falls under taxable services and goods.
- According to the announcement, the levying of cess was started from 15th of November, 2015. The Indian Tax Department published the notification.
- The notification also mentioned that the cess percentage was supposed to be 2% but for the time being only 0.5% will be charged.
- Swachh Bharat Cess calculation will be as under:
- If a person is opting for any taxable goods or services, which costs Rs. 10,000, then a cess will be calculated at the rate of 0.5%. Thus, the calculation will be done as (10,000*0.5)/100 and it amounts to Rs. 50
- Apart from the cess, the central government will also charge Service Tax at 14%. The calculation will be done as (10,000*14)/100 and it amounts to Rs. 1400.
- Thus, the person will be entitled to pay a total of Rs 11,450 (Rs. 50 as cess + Rs. 1400 as Service Tax + Rs. 10,000 as the original price)
GST impact on Swachh Bharat
- The implementation of the Goods and Services Tax or the GST by the central government is going to make matters more complex.
- Each good and service was formally categorized under two distinct taxes, one for the central government and the other for the payment of the revenue of the state authority. Thanks to be endeavors of the central authority, with GST, the tax calculation will become easy due to the implementation one single tax that will fill the coffers of the state and the center.
- The GST was applied in the nation from the 1st of July, 2017. With the implementation of the GST, all cess and other such tax schemes will cease to exist.
- Till the year 2016, a mammoth sum of Rs. 9,851.41 crore was acquired by the central government as Swachh Bharat cess.
- With the implementation of the GST, the government will no longer will have the advantage of collecting the cess. This absence will create a dent in the central revenue by no less than Rs. 65,000.
- Though the central government has not made any announcements about how the huge loss can be mended but most believe that all sanitation items will fall under high tax category.
How to be a part of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan?
- Any candidate who is interested in being a part of the cleanliness campaign can join the honest endeavor. For that, the person will have to click on the link https://www.mygov.in/.
- Then the person will have to enter the main page of the scheme. One needs to be honest while taking the pledge to devote time and effort in maintaining the level of sanitation in the nation.
- Once the pledge is taken, the person will have to register as a member and the log in the main website accordingly.
- It is mandatory for uploading and sharing snaps and posts, related to the cleanliness drive that the respective person has been a part of.
- When people see that a single person is following the path of cleanliness, they will also get the motivation to do the same. It is the way that will enable the cleanliness drive to spread to all parts of the nation.
- The site also has the feature that can assist the user in sending invitation requests to others. Any other person can send the same to the user.
- People working in any institution that is under the state or central government can also do their part in taking the sanitation drive forward.
- All MNCs and big private organizations have to follow the norms of CSR or Corporate Social Responsibility. As per the guidelines of the cleanliness drive, these firms will have to contribute both financially and materially towards the success of the scheme.
Swachh Bharat Application details
As most Indians have access to smartphones, the central government has recently launched mobile applications of the scheme. The name of the application is Swachh Bharat Clean India App. Any person who has a smartphone that operates on the Android operating system will be able to download the application on the phone and use it.
The application will give the candidate all information related to the scheme and its implementation in the specific area. The app has special features that will give the user access to the overall success of the scheme. The user can also use the app to be a part of the project and to make contributions.
If you wish to share any information with the authority or register any complain, then the app can be used for that purpose as well. Anyone can get the application for free. All one has to do is, log on to the Google Play Store and type in the name of the app. As the link appears, the user has to click on the install button and the application will be downloaded and saved in the phone. One can get the app by clicking on the link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mahekmshah.swachhbharat&hl=en.
Government contribution towards the scheme
- Implementing and ensuring the success of sanitation drive like this does not come cheap. As estimated, to meet all the requirements and construct the toilets, a whopping amount of Rs. 1.96 lakh crore will be needed and this is during the start of the program.
- When it comes to tackling the monetary expenses of the scheme, especially in the congested cities and towns, the overall estimated has reached Rs. 62,009 crore. Rs. 14,623 crore will be provided by the central coffers and the rest must be provided by the state.
- 7,366 crore (among Rs. 13, 623 crores) has been kept aside for the development of solid and liquid waste treatment plants.
- As for the scheme implementation in the rural and remote areas, the Union Budget has allocated a whopping sum of 5000 crores for the year 2017 – 2018. During the last two financial years, it was 11,000 crores collectively.
Akshay Kumar Launches Ad campaign for Swachh Bharat
An advertisement campaign was recently launched by Akshay Kumar (Bollywood Actor). The new campaign has been launched in favor of promoting Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (Grameen) amongst the citizens of the country. The new campaign aims at promoting the introduction of conventional toilets and implementing Twin pit technology within the villages and remote places in rural India. The new campaign also features other celebrities like Shri Kumar and Ms Bhumi Pednekar. The inauguration event was organized by Shri Parameswaran Iyer (Sanitation and Drinking water Ministry- Secretary). The campaign has also been inspired by the Movie “Toilet Ek Prem Katha” that featured Akshay Kumar in the lead role. It was based on educating the rural population about benefits of using closed toilet systems at their homes and villages and to eliminate the open defecation completely.
Well, now that we are completely aware about the Swachh Bharat mission of the central government, here we are going to present you with another branch of the same initiative known as the Swachh Pakhwada. This is another initiative and is similar to the initiative of the previous one, but brings out some unique features. The theme of this mission will be based on the voluntary performances of the private organizations and the corporate entities. To carry forward with the agenda of Swachh Bharat mission, the government is now focused on driving the cleanliness for a fortnight to pledge this reward.
- What is the Swachh Pakhwada?
This is actually a pledge ceremony initiated by the central government for spreading awareness among people. The awareness will be about maintaining cleanliness within the office premises. This is done for engaging the mission of Swachh Bharat to a further extent. A lot of private organizations have immediately agreed to contribute at least 2 hours every week to carry on this noble cause. The cleanliness drive shall be done for a fortnight.
- The awareness campaign
A lot of banners of different sizes for the title Swachh Bharat Mission and Swachh Pakhwada have been displayed in a lot of places. The sole intention was to reinforce the awareness for cleanliness around the ICAR-CIFA.
- The companies Act
For the enhancement of cleanliness awareness among the people there will be a new companies issued by the central government of India. This will be issued from the corporate affairs ministry. According to the companies act, the stakeholders shall carry out this cleanliness mission and this will be totally a voluntary exercise. This has been confirmed by the officials of Swachh Pakhwada.
- The special campus cleaning drive
Along with the routine cleanliness activities, there will also be two special campus cleaning drives for cleaning the school and campus premises of the colleges. As the routine of the Swachh Bharat mission, the campus is cleaned by mass participation of entire staff members twice a week. The staff members voluntarily agreed to the participate within this effort to clean the premises clean. They have devoted more than 6 hours a week for the cleaning of the school premises. There was special focus on the garbage deposition from burning. The dry grass and related materials were used as the green manure for the compost.
- An elocution Competition
For disseminating the Swachh Mission even more, an elocution competition was carried among the staff members and research scholars. And the topic for elocution was “Our environment our hygiene” and prizes were also presented.
- Plantation program with school children
There were also the initiatives under the Swachh Pakhwada mission to plant the few fruit tree saplings within the periphery of school playground. The best part of this mission was despite the summer vacations, the school students and teachers took out their time and showed a lot of interest to participate in this initiative. The farm committee and also the student’s body planted a lot of fruit trees like guava, amla, sugar apple and custard apple. The students were made aware about the importance of cleanliness and Swachh Bharat mission.
- What does the new companies law state?
As mentioned before there has been this new companies law that states, every organization is bound to take out 2% of their three year annual average profit for the CSR activities. And to take part in this initiative, more than 460 companies spent over 6.337 crore towards the CSR activities from 2014-2015. This also includes 51 PSU’s that spends 2386.60 crore.
|SL NO||Action point||Period (2016)
|1.||Disposing already condemned and unused items||16th may to 31st may|
|2.||Weeding out old records that have outlives the preservation period||16th may to 22nd may|
|3.||Pre-monsoon minor repairs for the buildings, campus and pavements and also cleaning of drainage||16th to 31st may|
|4.||For organizing to felicitate award winning post offices, admin offices and postal colonies||31st May|
|5.||Shramadan||23rd to 27th may|
|6.||Joint cleaning of the surroundings of postal units and centers with local authorities||21st to 31st may|
|7.||Cleaning of post offices, Mail offices, administrative offices, staff quarters and staff quarters||16th may to 31st may|
|8.||Spreading awareness regarding the continuation of Swachh Bharat Mission through the Social media platform||16th may to 31st may.|