Rahat Scheme Punjab
In 2014 the Punjab state government has launched a new scheme for the small retailers from small cities and towns. The scheme was launched to save the retailers from paying the lump-sum tax. Availing this scheme will help the small traders to freely trade as the tax burden will be less from now onwards. Around more than 70 cities including small towns and category I, II and III cities have this scheme.
Rahat Scheme – Key Features
- It was a scheme for the retail businessmen and small traders across the state of Punjab. It was announced and started by the deputy chief minister of the state.
- Under this scheme the beneficiaries that are the small traders and retailers will be eligible to pay a fixed amount of tax which is less than usual taxes. This will help them to trade freely and properly within the premises of the state.
- The scheme is to end the ‘inspector raj’ that occurs across the state of Punjab, especially in the small towns and cities.
- With this scheme the revenue receipt of the state will be increased. As of now nearly 80% small dealers are not paying taxes to the government. But after this scheme dealers will come forward to avail the scheme.
- Traders who are eligible for the scheme must have yearly turnover of not more than Rs. 1 Cr. The minimum amount of yearly turnover is Rs. 0 and the maximum amount is Rs. 1 Cr.
- The main objective of the scheme is to provide a friendly and easy environment for the traders within the premises of the state. The small traders who are not conducting their trade under Class I corporations of the city will be benefited under this scheme.
- Another objective of the scheme is to end up the ‘inspector raj’ from the state. Mostly in the name of inspection, authorities irk the small traders and bring corruption into the system. The state government definitely does not want it to happen.
- Under this scheme the maximum amount of taxable income of the trader will be less than Rs. 1 Cr in a year. This income will not include those goods that are already covered under taxation.
- The person must not conduct his trading over the states with others. He must have his business within the premises of the state of Punjab.
- The traders who do not fall under any corporation or any Tier I municipal town.
- Traders who will be registered under the scheme will not get inspected by any tax authority without prior permission. Once the trader will permit the authority then only the inspection can take place.
- Traders who will avail the scheme will not get affected by the excise and taxation commissioner without permission. If there is anything urgent the authority must have taken prior permission to implement the action.
- If there is anything happened that violets any of the rules mentioned above then the dealer or the trader can lodge an official complaint. There are two ways to reach the helpline, phone call and e-mail ID.
There are a number of stages or tax slabs that are being fixed here for the traders. Different turnover amounts will bring different amount of tax deposits. The tax slabs are as follows:
|Slabs||Annual Turnovers||Tax Deposit|
|1||0 to Rs. 25 Lac||Rs. 5000/-|
|2||Rs. 25 Lac to Rs. 50 Lac||Rs. 10, 000/-|
|3||Rs. 50 Lac to Rs. 75 Lac||Rs. 15, 000/-|
|4||Rs. 75 Lac to Rs. 1 Cr||Rs. 20, 000/-|
Under this scheme the applicant or the dealer can pay the tax in 4 instalments throughout the year. He has to pay each instalment in every 3 months in a financial year.
To avail the scheme the traders will have to fill up a registration application form and submit it to the excise and taxation commission of Punjab. The registration form comes as an application letter which needs some details like name of the dealer, business name, area, total turnover, year and taxable deposit. After filling up the form, the traders need to deposit the taxable amount and the form to the designated officers.
Once the application is submitted the designated officer has to accept the application by providing an acceptance letter. After the verification and other formalities, if the trader or dealer gets a clean chit then the officer will provide a registration certificate to the trader containing details about his business and rules of the scheme.
Launch of the scheme
The scheme was launched in the year 2014 by the Punjab State Government. According to the scheme total 74 cities and small towns among which 24 cities are of the Tier I and the rest of them are of Tier II and III respectively.
As mentioned that if any of the authorities or inspections goes against the rules of the scheme the dealer or the trader can lodge an official complaint against it. There are two ways to lodge a complaint. One is a direct phone call at 1800-258-2580 and another way is to mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rahat Scheme – At a Glance
|Scheme name||Rahat Scheme|
|Launched by||Sukhbir Badal, Deputy Chief Minister of Punjab|
|Beneficiaries||Small traders and retailers|
|Benefits||Prevent inspector raj|
|Maximum turnover||Rs. 1 Cr|
|Business area||Within the boundary of the state|
- Yatri Mitra Sewa in Train
- Chunauti Scheme 2018 in Delhi
- Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Program
- Kaushal Vikas Yojana