[coconutboard.gov.in] Kera Suraksha Insurance Scheme in Kerala [Application Form, Claim Form]
- 1 [coconutboard.gov.in] Kera Suraksha Insurance Scheme in Kerala [Application Form, Claim Form]
Coconut is one of the main cash crops that are grown in the southern state of Kerala. Even now, the harvesting of the crop is done in a traditional fashion. The coconut climbers have a tough task at hand. A fall from the top of the tree can be harmful even fatal. Thus, the state government and the CDB have joined hands to implement an insurance scheme, Kera Suraksha Insurance Scheme for the people associated with the trade. They will get financial help in case of any injury or death.
|Name||Kera Suraksha Insurance Scheme in Kerala|
|Implementation Date||1st Oct|
|Announced By||CM of the state|
|Supervised By||Chairperson of the Coconut Development Board|
|Helpline Number||0484-2377266 or 0484 – 2377265|
Key features of the Kera Suraksha Insurance Scheme
- Empowering the coconut three climbers – The life of coconut tree climbers is always at risk. To give them financial security and assurance, the state has launched the welfare program. It will assist as well as empower the climbers.
- Issuance of the insurance – It is highlighted in the scheme that the climbers will be able to get the insurance from the office of the Oriental Insurance Company Ltd.
- Financial assistance – During the early implementation days, the CDB and the Kerala authority decided to pay a maximum insurance of Rs 1 lakh. Then, they reanalyzed the facts and decided that 1 lakh is not adequate. Thus, they updated the terms and started paying 2 lakhs.
- Very low premium amount – The premium of life coverage insurance scheme is generally high. But it is not possible for the coconut tree climbers to stand the pressure of high premium amounts. Thus, the Coconut Development Board kept the insurance premium to the minimum.
- Insurance tenure – Any climber who signs the insurance scheme papers will be able to get the financial assistances, for a one year term, starting from the date of signing the documents.
Eligibility criteria of the scheme
- Only for climbers – As the name of the scheme suggests, the insurance coverage will be given only to those people who are associated with the task of coconut tree climbing. Apart from the professionals, the benefits will also go to the trainees.
- Only for residents of Kerala – The scheme will provide financial benefits only to those climbers who officially reside in the state of Kerala. Others will be barred from the advantages.
- Age related criteria – It has been mentioned in the scheme that only those coconut climbers who fall within the age range of 18 to 65 years of age will be able to apply for the insurance coverage.
- Training under the FoCT – Friends of Coconut Tree or the FoCT is an association that has the responsibility of imparting training to those who aspire to join the occupation. Thus, registration approval of this group is a must.
Important documents required
- Residential documents – The design, development and implementation of the welfare scheme will only happen in the state, for securing the life of coconut tree climbers of Kerala. Thus, documents that prove that the candidate is legal resident of Kerala are mandatory.
- Caste certificate – Keeping in line with the decree of the state and central government, the attaching any caste certificate of SC/ST/OBC category is mandatory for the applicants.
- Age certificate – Due to the presence of the age related criteria, the applicants need to attach any valid age certificate to support their claim of getting the financial benefits.
- Address proof of the nominated person – As it is an insurance policy, the applicant will have to identify a nominee as well. The address proof and papers of the nominee must be attached as well.
- Registration papers of the CDB or training papers – To acquire the financial benefits under the insurance coverage, the submission of the registration papers from the Coconut Development Board or training related papers is a must.
Details of Financial Assistance
- In case of death or PTD – Often climbers or trainees fall from the coconut trees. In case the fall kills the candidate or renders him permanently disabled, the family will stand a chance to acquire 2 lakhs as compensation, as per the insurance guidelines.
- Partial disability – If due to any accident, the insured climber suffers from a partial disability that cannot be treated, then the state will pay a sum of Rs. 1 lakh to the candidate.
- Paying the expenses of the hospital – In case the person is admitted in a hospital, the family will have to make the payments by themselves. Later on, the state authority will repay an amount of Rs. 25,000 to the family.
- Meeting the hiring charges of the ambulance – Hiring the services of an ambulance will become mandatory for transporting the climber to the nearest hospital. Insured climber will be given a remuneration amounting to Rs. 1000 for paying the ambulance tariff.
- Weekly compensation – The insured person will be entitled to get a sum of Rs. 6000 on a weekly basis, if the climber is suffering from TTD.
- Meeting other expenses of hospitalization – If the climber has been hospitalized then the family will also get a sum of Rs. 1500. The person will get the financial assistance for a maximum of 5 days. A payment of Rs. 300 will be kept for each day.
- Meeting the expenses of the funeral – If the insured climber dies, then the family will also be entitles to receive an amount of Rs. 5000 for meeting the associated expenses of the last rights and rituals.
Premium Rate under the scheme
The state government has kept the premium rate for acquiring the insurance very low. It is a calculated step that state authority has taken to ensure that a maximum number of professional coconut tree climbers or trainees get the benefits.
As mentioned in the scheme draft, each applicant, if he is a professional coconut tree climber will have to pay only Rs. 23 and the Coconut Development Board will pay Rs. 69. It means the total premium amount to be paid for the insurance is Rs. 92.
The same premium amount is to be paid to acquire the insurance for a coconut climber who is still acquiring the training. But in this case, the trainee will not have to make any payments and the full Rs. 92 will be paid by the Coconut Development Board.
How to get the application form?
As mentioned earlier, any coconut tree climber who wants to secure themselves against any unforeseen expenses, by signing up for the insurance scheme, will have to submit a duly filled form. All aspects of registration will carried out in traditional offline manner. But each applicant has needs to venture in the virtual authorized portal to get the registration memo. For this, the link http://coconutboard.gov.in/ must be clicked.
How to apply for the scheme?
- The state government has kept the option of offline application and it makes the registration procedure easy for most coconut tree climbers as they may not be well-aware of operating a computer.
- The application form is available on the official website and can be acquired by clicking on the link that will give you access to the authorized web page. The gov.in is the web address of the site.
- As soon as the page once, the candidate will have to click on the tab that is marked as “Application Forms”
- When the next page opens, the candidate will have to reach the link that is marked as Kera Suraksha Insurance Scheme – Application Form. One can get the application form directly by clicking on the link http://coconutboard.gov.in/docs/Appl-Kerasuraksha.pdf as well.
- Clicking the link will trigger the portal to generate the official document for making the application. It is available in PDF format and needs to be downloaded. Once downloaded, one has to get a printout for filling it up.
- The form has many areas, which must be filled with the personal details of the candidate. These include the name, address, age, sex, Aadhaar number, and caste details.
- Check the details carefully to make sure that there is no error in the application document. Then the candidates need to attach photocopy of all required documents as well, for verification purpose.
- Then the applicant has to go to the nearest Oriental Insurance Co. Ltd office or the Coconut Development Board office. After the submission of the application form, the insurance papers will be issued.
The insurance policy will not only safeguard the coconut tree climbers but will also give them the assurance that the state government has finally recognized the occupation. It will encourage more and more people to take part in the training and the overall coconut harvesting business will flourish.