Free Metro And Bus Ride Scheme For Women In Delhi 2019-2020
After the announcement of 2019 Elections, the CM of Delhi announced that he is looking forwards to launching a new project. If implemented the Free Metro and Bus Ride Scheme for Women will reshape the public transport facilities in the region. As the name suggests, poor and financially weak women will be the main beneficiaries of this project. Under this scheme, the selected beneficiaries will no longer have to pay money for the bus and Metro rail tickets.
Launch details of the scheme
|Name of the scheme||Free Metro And Bus Ride Scheme For Women|
|Launched by||Arvind Kejriwal|
|Date of announcement||June 2019|
|Date of launch||In the next 2 to 3 months|
|Supervised by||Delhi Transport Corporation|
Key features of the scheme
- Ensuring safety of female travelers – Many people avoid the public modes of transport in Delhi because of the high ticket fares. If the scheme is implemented, then women, belonging to financially weak sections will be able to travel free of cost. The state-run buses and the Metro Rail are not only comfortable, but safer than other modes of transports.
- Free travel facility – The best aspect of the scheme is the beneficiaries will no longer have to purchase any ticket, while traveling in the state-owned buses and Delhi Metro trains.
- DTC owned buses – The scheme applies to all the buses, which have been registered and maintained by the Delhi Transport Corporation. Candidates, selected under the program will be able to board these busses, and reach their destination, free of cost.
- Applicable to Delhi Metro system – The free travel scheme is also applicable to the Delhi Metro Railways. Presently, one needs to purchase metro tokens, and the price of the token depends on the distance the passenger has to travel. It is not possible for financially weak women to such high fare for the tokens. With the successful launch of this project, fee travel by metro rail will be possible.
Eligibility and documents necessary for application
- Resident of Delhi – Only those female applicants, who possess legal residency certificate of Delhi, will be permitted to attain the benefits of this scheme. So, submitting the residential certificate is a must.
- Financially backward women – The development of this scheme is mainly for those women who do not have the financial power to purchase metro or bus tickets. Financial documents may be required during the application process.
- No age requirement – Unlike many other schemes, this program does not come with any lower or upper age limit. Eligible women, belonging to any age bracket will attain the perks of this project.
- No caste bar – The Delhi government did not mention anything about the caste requirement of the beneficiaries.
- Id proofs – All women, interested in getting the benefits of this scheme will have to submit their identification documents, along with the registration form. The photocopies of Aadhar card, voter card, and ratio card will be recognized as legal ID proofs.
How to acquire registration form and apply for the scheme?
The Delhi government has been meaning to announce the scheme for long time, but has to wait till the end of 2019 Elections. Now that the new government has been formed in the center, the Delhi CM announced the scheme. Speculations suggest that it will take around two to three months for the actual launch of the scheme. Thus, the government has not highlighted anything about the application procedure. When the Delhi government makes any announcements about this scheme, you will read about it first on this portal.
Free travel by the Metro and the STC buses will increase the number of women passengers. Apart from comfort and safety, these public transport modes will help women passengers to reach their destination faster.
The scheme will help women with limited means to travel comfortably in the state run buses and metro trains, without worrying about purchasing a ticket. As there is no system to differentiate between women who can purchase the tickets and those who cannot, the Delhi government will have to work hard to bring all sections of the government to vote in favor of the scheme.
Other links –