How to Apply Aadhar Card for NRI [Process, Documents, Eligibility, FAQ]
After certain changes relating to Aadhaar card in the current Union budget, Aadhaar card has equal importance both for Indian citizens and NRIs. Gone are the days when Non-resident Indians have to wait for a minimum of 180 days to get their Aadhaar card. As per the present rule, the NRIs can apply for the Aadhaar card as soon as they arrive in the country. However, Aadhaar card enrolment is important as it has been declared mandatory by the government. In addition, the Aadhaar card number will be required when NRIs opt to file for income tax returns. So, the proposal has been put forward by Finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman In Friday budget.
Apart from the above said importance, with Aadhaar card, it will become easy for NRIs to deal with financial transitions in the country. In this regard, the finance minister has added that NRI portfolio investment and foreign portfolio will be merged. As a result of this, investment procedure would become easy for NRIs. Below are mentioned details of online application for Aadhaar card enrolment.
Key features of the proposal
- As per government rule, NRIs have to opt for Aadhaar card being Indian citizens. This might be a concern for the NRIs if they have any sources of income in India as well. But there is an exception when Abu Dhabi residents are applying for income tax returns, they do not have to produce their Aadhaar card.
- The merging up of NRI investment portfolio with foreign one will have better results. However, this merging act would ease the NRI investment routes with foreign ones.
- The Aadhaar card will be given to the NRIs free of cost and it would help them to get any government jobs when they return to the country. Even for government schemes including other social schemes can be availed once they get the card.
Proposals made in budget 2019
NirmalaSitharamanaimed to recover the financial growth of the nation by means of better investment rates. Owing to the slow economic growth of the country’s finances, the financial department is facing problems due to the rising fiscal deficit. It also includes poor tax collections. So, the finance minister is making proposals and trying for an effective revival of the financial condition that is lacking behind.
What are the eligibility criteria for NRIs to get Aadhaar card?
Though Indian citizens can apply for Aadhaar card through easy process, some eligibility criteria has been set by the government.
- Age limit – Candidates should be above the age of 3 years in order to apply for the Aadhaar card. However, this age limit would be strictly followed at the time of Aadhaar card enrolment.
- Residential proof – Indian residents are only allowed to get Aadhaar card. But foreigners can also opt for the enrollment. Therefore, NRIs along with foreigners are capable of getting Aadhaar card as an identity proof.
Documents required for Aadhaar card enrolment
- Age proof certificate – At the time of online application, it is necessary to submit the age certificate of the individual to support the claim. It would be verified by higher authorities before you can proceed with the application of Aadhaar card.
- Residential certificate – Candidates have to provide photo ID proof, school certificate, along with birth certificate. This will be verified by higher authorities before they consider the candidate suitable to get the Aadhaar card.
Therefore, along with the above said one, the candidates have to submit relevant certificates that would help to know the relation that NRIs have with the other country.
What is the procedure of Aadhaar card enrolment?
The process to opt for Aadhaar card is similar for an Indian resident and an NRI. For an NRI, they can go through UIDAI website or they can visit enrolment center nearby. Once candidate locates their nearby enrolment center, they should visit the same with relevant documents and photographs. Below are the steps through which they have to apply for getting the Aadhaar card.
- Submission of relevant documents
One of the first steps of enrolling the Aadhaar card is to submit relevant documents that are required for verification. This will help the higher authorities to know about the identity of the non-resident India. Some of the required documents are birth certificate, school certificate and photo ID proof that would be required by the official to ensure whether the candidate can opt for the Aadhaar card or not.
- Finger-tip scanning
This is another important step when opting for Aadhaar card. This step comes after the candidate submits their documents. They will be called for biometric test where a unique identity will be established by scanning the finger tip of the candidate. This will help in accurate and unique identification of candidates. For completion of this step, the candidate has to visit the enrolment center.
- Iris scanning
This is another procedure of establishing unique identification to avoid problems of confusion between two candidates. This will be done in the enrolment center after the finger-tip scanning has been done. All these will help the authorities to get proper identification of the candidates.
- Submission of photograph
Following the scanning procedure, photographs of candidates will be taken. In this, the candidates have to stand in front of web-camera of the enrolment center. This would capture the photographs and it will be added to the Aadhaar card. The hard copy of Aadhaar card will be given from the UIDAI sites. From the date of enrolment, it will take almost 60 days to 90 days to get the Aadhaar card. However, the UIDAI will provide the card in the same day for an Indian citizen and a NRI. In case of emergencies, candidates can get hands on the e-Aadhaar card from the UIDAI site as this version has equal value as that of its hard copy.
So, NRIs can get Aadhaar card soon after arriving in India and with the card, the NRIs can go through easy and fast financial transactions within India. Even for fast filling of ITRs, NRIs can use Aadhaar card.
FAQs on Aadhaar card, income tax returns and NRIs
- Can NRI apply for Aadhar card?
Yes, as per latest changes in government rules, NRIs can apply for Aadhaar card as soon as they arrive in the country.
- Is Aadhaar card mandatory for NRI income tax return?
Yes, according to Section 139AA of the Income-Tax Act, 1961, for filling income tax returns, Aadhaar cards are mandatory. The Finance Act, 2017 has made it compulsory.
- Is Aadhaar required for NRI?
Yes, Aadhaar card is required for NRI for their identification proof. In addition, Aadhaar enrolment ID will be required for income tax returns.
- How long does it take to get Aadhar card for NRI ?
Both for NRI and Indian residents, it takes 60 – 90 days to get the Aadhaar card after enrolling for it.
- Can NRI file tax return India without aadhar?
No, NRIs cannot opt for income tax returns without an Aadhaar card. As the NRIs are tagged as Indian citizens under income tax database, Aadhaar card is mandatory.
- Is it necessary to link Aadhaar with pan for NRI?
Yes, it is necessary to link as it would assist NRIs in easier investment process along with filling income tax returns.
- What will I do if I lost my Adhar card?
In case you have lost Aadhaar card, visit http://www.uidai.gov.in/to download duplicate copy of Aadhaar card with help of the registered mobile number or email ID in the original card.
- What is the procedure for NRIs to link their Aadhaar Card?
The process is similar for NRIs and Indian citizens. However, candidates can go through the above said detailed application process to link their Aadhaar card.
- Can a foreign citizen get Aadhar card?
Yes, as per changes in Aadhaar card as proposed in Union Budget 2019, foreign citizens can opt for Aadhaar card without staying for a period of 182 days in India.
Other links –
- Jal Shakti Abhiyan – Har Ghar Jal Scheme
- Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana Odisha
- Process to link Aadhaar Card with bank account
- Gujarat Card NRG Online Application form for NRIs