Kanya Vivah Nikah Yojana In MP
Marriage is an elaborate process and requires a lump sum of money for successful implementation. But it is not possible for the poor to arrange the funds. For their assistance, the Madhya Pradesh government has announced and implemented the Kanya Vivah Nikah Yojana. Under the program, the government will organize communal marriage ceremonies and also assist the family economically.
Important Dates Of Kanya Vivah Nikah Yojana In MP
Before knowing about the benefits and other features of the scheme, one needs to know the important dates, associated with the reform. The following points will give you a better idea about this:
- Actual date of announcement – Originally, the Kanya Vivah Nikah Yojana was announced by the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Mr. Shivraj Singh Chouhan, in the month of April, 2016. But it was not immediately implemented due to some glitches.
- Changes in the scheme – After the first announcement of the scheme was made, the government of the state and the authority thought that some changes were required. Once the necessary changes were made, the state government officially announced and implemented the scheme in the month of September, 2016.
- Dates of communal marriage ceremony – The implementation of the scheme took place in the month of February, 2017, where the state organized communal marriage on the 11th, 13th, 23rd, & 28th of that month. In March, 2017, the state organized communal marriage on 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 11th, 12th, & 13th. In April, 2017, the communal marriage dates were set on 16th, 17th, 18th, 23rd, 29th, & 30th.
Benefits provided by MP Govt. for Kanya Vivah Nikah Yojana
To understanding the scheme better, one needs to take a look at the salient features of the program:
- Financial assistance – The girls who are getting married in the communal marriage events will receive a total of Rs. 25,000. The amount will be divided in many parts for the ease of operations.
- Transferring money in account – Out of the Rs. 25000, the government will give Rs. 17,000 to the girls after the marriage ceremony. The amount will not be given in cash; it will be transferred to the account directly.
- Financial assistance for purchasing required items – One needs to purchase many items for the marriage ceremony. The state government will transfer Rs. 5000 to the candidates for buying these objects, like – utensils, ornaments, clothes, LPG cylinder, stove, sewing machines, pressure cooker, and other associated stuff.
- Money for the organizers – The state government will require the assistance of many NGOs and other such organizations for conducting the marriage ceremonies. As a reward for their efforts, the government will provide Rs. 3000 to these organizations.
- Religion no bar – Last but not the least; staying true to the idea of communalism, the state government will provide the assistance to people of all religions. Both the Hindus and the Muslims will be able to register for attaining the benefits.
Eligibility Rules for Kanya Vivah Nikah Yojana
If anyone is interested in getting their names registered under the scheme, then they will have to fulfill certain prerequisites. The following are the eligibility criteria for the scheme:
- For the residents of MP only – As per the guidelines highlighted in the draft of the scheme, only the official residents of the state will be able to get the benefits of the scheme. People coming from other parts of the nation will not be permitted to opt for it.
- Living below poverty level – As the scheme has been implemented to reduce the financial burden from the shoulders of the poor, only those who have the certificate to prove that they live below the poverty line, will be permitted to opt for the benefits.
- Meeting the age requirements – The poor families will be able to register the name of their girls, for getting the benefits of the scheme, only if the girls have attained the legal age of 18 years or are above that age.
- No more than two girls – Another eligibility criterion is that each family, meeting the above-mentioned eligibility requirements will be able to register the names of two girls only. Only two girls from each family will get the advantage of the scheme.
Documents required for the registration
All candidates who want to register under the plan will have to provide the following documents for assisting the verification procedure:
- Proof of residency – As the plan is exclusively for the people who are legal residents of the state of Madhya Pradesh; the candidates opting for the scheme will have to produce their residency certificate.
- Age certificate of the girls – While registering for the scheme, the families will have to make sure that the girl is of or above the legal age. For this, the family will have to produce proper documents for supporting the age claim.
- BPL certificate – Most people who are suffering from poverty and cannot bear the expenses of marriage are the target beneficiaries of the scheme. Thus, the production of the BPL certificate or card is a must.
- Details of the bank account – The families will not be given the money in cash. The lump sum amount will be provided in the form of an account payee cheque. So, the candidates need an active bank account and the account details must also be provided during registration.
Budget and Beneficiaries
It is not the first time that the state came up with such a scheme. A similar program was also functional earlier. With time, the state aims at increasing the budget so that more candidates can get the advantage of the scheme. Communal marriages were conducted earlier as well. The chart below will provide you with the details of the expense of the state and the number of people benefitted by the scheme.
|Financial Year||State Expenditure||State Budget Outlay||Number of beneficiaries|
|2009 to 2010||14. 18||25||19579|
|2008 to 2009||25.98||26.18||43297|
|2007 to 2008||19.57||19.20||32621|