How to Link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card
As people know that the Central Government of India is keen to use Aadhaar card number in every sector including banking, ATMs, Railways and such, now the government is linking the same with Income Tax Department of India. In recent news the central government has announced about linking the aadhaar card number with the PAN number of the tax payers in India. This will lead to more accuracy in the tax payment and also it will be helpful to track tax system more properly.
What is a PAN?
PAN is initials for the term Permanent Account Number. This number is unique for every single person who is a tax payer in India. The PAN is issued by the Income tax department of India. PAN card is not for someone who is not a tax payer such as minors and under privileged people. This permanent number is issued to as a unique identity of the tax payer.
The income tax department of India can track and identify the tax payer through this unique 10 digit alpha-numeric number printed on the card. This number can be used as identity proof and address proof. Recently the government has stated that people who are holding PAN cards can now link their aadhaar details with it for future reference. After doing this the tracking of taxation and transparency of the system will be much better.
How to link Aadhaar number with PAN card:
There are two ways to link PAN with Aadhaar unique number. One is through SMS and the other way is through online process.
- Via SMS: In case of SMS, there are few steps to be followed and the task will be done. First of all one has to type a text in the following manner:
UIDPAN (space) 12 digits Aadhaar Number (space) 10 digits PAN number
- If your 12 digit aadhaar number is 123456789012 and the 10 digits PAN number is 1234567890 then write in the following manner:
UIDPAN 123456789012 1234567890
- After typing this message send this to either of these mentioned computer generated numbers: 56161 or 567678. These numbers are created by the Income Tax department of India.
Another way to link the same is through the online process. Anyone can log on to the official website of the Income Tax Filing and can link the PAN with aadhaar. In fact those who don’t have official account with the website can also link their aadhaar with PAN without signing in.
Those who don’t have login ID with e-filing service of IT department of India:
- Step 1: Go to the official website of the Income tax department. Click on the following link to redirect to the linking page directly https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-Filing/Services/LinkAadhaarHome.html.
- Step 2: Once you click on the mentioned link, you will be redirected to the page where you will get few text boxes to fill in. These are mandatory fields and one has to provide the proper information. 10-digit alpha-numerical PAN, Aadhaar Number, name on the aadhaar and Captcha must be entered.
- Step 3: There is a special facility for blind people as well. They can ask for the One Time Password or OTP as the verification code. The OTP will be sent to their registered mobile number.
- Step 4: Click on the tab ‘link aadhaar’. After clicking on the button, a message will pop up. It says ‘aadhaar-PAN linking is successfully completed’. This means the process is done successfully. Then one has to wait for the verification to be finished.
Those who have login ID and password of e-filing website:
- Step 1: Go to the official website of income tax department of India or click on the link https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/. Log in to the website with your ID and password.
- Step 2: Once you logged in ‘linking aadhaar’ window will pop up automatically as a part of promotion. If it does not show up, then go to ‘profile setting’ on the blue bar in your dashboard.
- Step 3: Click on the ‘link aadhaar’ tab that is shown in the list under profile setting tab. Clicking on the tab will redirect you to the page where your details are being noted.
- Step 4: Once you are being redirected to the profile page, you will see your entire PAN details there recorded. You are required to verify the details and click on the ‘okay’ button to proceed further.
- Step 5: You will be redirected to the page where you need to enter your aadhaar number for further process. Name, date of birth and the gender will be there as per the records.
- Step 6: Enter the captcha code mentioned in the box and click on the tab ‘Link aadhaar’ at the bottom. The same message ‘Aadhaar-PAN linking is successfully completed’ will be shown.
These are the mandatory steps to follow for linking aadhaar and PAN. This step is taken by the Income Tax Department and the central government of India for various reasons.
Importance of linking PAN card with Aadhaar Card:
- As said there are a number of reasons for which the IT department has mandatorily launched this system. First of all the increasing rate of tax evasion in the nation will be reduced largely. People will not be able to evade income tax if their aadhaar is linked with PAN. After linking the Aadhaar with PAN government will easily track the address, contact and also financial transaction of the tax payer. This will lead to more accurate tax payment.
- Secondly the online tax payment will be much easier now. Once your aadhaar will be linked with the PAN, no IT authentication and verification will be needed further for the income tax return filing online.
- Single entities apply for multiple PAN cards to tax evasion. This associates with several fraudulent activities in the economy. To prevent this issue the government has made this decision of linking two major identity numbers of the citizens of India.
Correction facility for linking PAN with Aadhaar is launched by the Income Tax Department
In order to link the PAN with Aadhaar the government as well as the IT department is leaving no stone unturned. Many a people have wrong onformation either on the aadhaar card or on the PAN card. Some of the people have wrong spelling of their names or some have wrong date of birth issue. In order to correct the information given on both the cards the IT department has launched a correction facility.
In this official e-filing website a hyperlink is available that will redirect you to the correction page. There in the page, you can correct any wrong information you have on your PAN card. To apply for the PAN card, one can use another hyperlink mentioned along with the correction page.
For any correction on the Aadhaar card one can log on to Self Service Update Portal and upload the necessary scanned copy of the documents to rectify the wrong information.
FAQs about Aadhaar-PAN linkage:
Is there any offline mode of linking PAN-Aadhaar?
- There is no offline system of linking these two numbers. Either you can link through SMS or online. The SMS must be sent from the registered mobile number.
Do I need to submit any document at the time of linkage?
- No documents are needed to submit during the linkage process. If there is any mismatch in the information given on the website or your Aadhaar Card then only you need a correction application to be submitted along with required documents.
My date of birth is wrong on Aadhaar card, how do I change it?
- Aadhaar has a self service update portal aka SSUP where any Aadhaar card holder can correct the information given on the card. If spelling of the name or date of birth is written wrong on the aadhaar card, then the person can correct it through SSUP.
What is the necessary thing for linking PAN and Aadhaar?
- To link the aadhaar with PAN one has to make sure that the information given is right and no spelling mistake or date of birth or year is given wrongly. If anything among these is found wrong the link process can be failed later.