IPL 11 Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) 2018 Team, Squad, Players, Captain, History, Owners, Facts, Records,Bowlers, Batsman, Jersey, Logo and Team Identity
The RCB is one of the eight cricket team which has been the part of the most entertaining format of the game of cricket, called IPL. As the name suggests, the team is basically from Bangalore. RCB has been a constant participant in IPL which is conducted by BCCI each and every year. The team formed along with the other popular IPL teams in the year 2008, the inaugural season of IPL. However, it has yet to grab its first IPL title.
IPL-11 2018 Team
|2||AB de Villiers||SA|
Unlike previous seasons, this season, the Vivo IPL will be more extravagant and glorious as it is entering its 11th season in 2018. RCB has been the part of IPL for the last nine seasons. RCB has never won any season of IPL, but has played in three finals in the previous seasons and stood in the runners up position. So for this year, RCB will surely have more hunger to win than the other teams.
The RCB team comprised of 39 players in the last season of VIVO IPL which was the 9th IPL season. This list included a mix of top classes Indian, as well as overseas players. Under the mentorship of Daniel Vettori, this year’s captainship of RCB will be retained by Virat Kohli who is one of the best performing T20 players of India. Below is the list of players who were the part of the last season of VIVO IPL and played for RCB:
- Virat Kohli (Captain) – The star player of the RCB team, Virat Kohli is one of the pillars of the Bangalore franchise. He is also been the captain of the team for the last four seasons. Kohli started his IPL career in 2008 i.e. from the very first edition of IPL from this Bangalore team only and was retained in all seasons. With 139 IPL matches under his belt, he has scored 4000+ runs which also include a century from last season.
- Varun Aaron – He is a right arm fast bowler who has joined the RCB team in the IPL 2014. Previously, he was also the part of teams like KKR and DD. Out of the 36 IPL matches he has played so far, he has taken 31 wickets with an economy rate of 8.75.
- A B de Villiers – AB is the most devastating batsmen known in the game of cricket and also in the IPLs. He is not only brutal with his bat, but also a great wicket keeper, behind the stumps. The innings in the IPL 2015 where he scored 133 runs in just 59 balls was one of the outstanding records of IPL.
- Samuel Badri – The talented spin bowler was purchased by RCB in the year 2016, but was not played in the last season. However, he has been retained by the team from auction.
- Chris Gayle – He is an all rounder creating several IPL records in all the IPL seasons. Like AB, he is also an attacking batsman who loves to rain 6s and 4s for RCB. He has the highest score of mammoth 175 runs in his IPL career.
- Travis Head – He is a left hander batsman from Australia who was brought by RCB in the last season of IPL.
- Shane Watson– Watson is another pillar of the RCB team with his great batting as well as medium pace bowling. He is also retained from this year’s IPL auction by team RCB.
- Adam Milne – Milne is a right arm pace bowler who came to RCB in 2015. However, he was ruled out of the tournament due to a major injury.
- Kane Richardson – He was introduced in the Bangalore franchise in the year 2014 as a bowler. He has done a good job with his bowling, keeping good average and economy rate.
- Mitchell Starc – This Australian fast medium bowler was introduced in RCB from 2015 and has been one of the leading bowlers of the team.
- David Wiese – Another overseas player of RCB who can be equally great with his bat as well as ball. He was brought in the year 2015 by RCB.
- Tabraiz Shamsi – Tabraiz is a left arm bowler introduced in the Bangalore team last year.
- Chris Jordan – Another emerging overseas bowler of RCB who got 11 wickets out of the 9 matches he played in IPL 2016.
- Abu Nechim – He joined RCB in 2012 and is playing the role of blower in the side.
- Sreenath Aravind – Aravind is one of the best Indian bowlers of RCB who joined the side in 2011. Last year also, he managed to get 11 wickets from 9 matches.
- Stuart Binny – RCB has got this talented all rounder who can play crucial knocks at important stages of the game as can also do good bowling for the side.
- Yuzvendra Chahal– He is a leg spinner of the Bangalore side who got into the team in IPL 2014. He took most number of wickets for RCB in 2015 IPL.
- Praveen Dubey – RCB brought Dubey in IPL 2016 for his good all round skills.
- Iqbal Abdulla – He is a left arm spinner who used to play for KKR and Rajasthan teams. He was included in the 2016 version for his wicket taking skills and good economic bowling.
- Kedar Jadhav – Kedar is a right handed batsman who can also do good share of bowling, was brought in the Bangalore team last season.
- Akshay Karnewar – He is a exceptionally talented spinner who cab bowl with both his arms and is a surprise package for RCB.
- Sarfaraz Khan – He was included in the RCB side in 2015 IPL and has played crucial batting knocks for the team.
- Vikramjeet Malik – Malik was signed by the Bangalore franchise in the year 2016 and is a talented medium pacer.
- Mandeep Singh – Mandeep was included in the RCB squad in IPL 2015 for his all-round performance throughout the several IPL seasons.
- Harshal Patel – RCB has got this talented young medium pacer in the squad in 2014 and has been a key bowler for the side.
- Lokesh Rahul – He is one of the promising young batsmen of India, who also opens for RCB. He was included in t he team in IPL 2016.
- Parveez Rasool – He is a good spinner and also a talented batsman from J & K. He was picked up by the Bangalore side in 2016.
- Sachin Baby – Selected in the RCB squad in 2016, he is is also retained by the team in this year’s IPL auction.
- Vikas Tokas – He is a medium pace bowler who was selected in the side in 2016 version of IPL.
The inaugural season of IPL held in the year 2008 was captained by none other than the Wall of the Indian Cricket, Rahul Dravid. He was the icon player of the Bangalore side. After Dravid, Kevin Peterson became one of the most costly buys of RCB and leaded the side in the IPL 2009 for first few matches. Then the captaincy was taken over in the rest of the 2009 tournament as well as in 2010 by Anil Kumble. Kumble has been on the most successful captain of the Bangalore franchise with a win percentage of 54.28 %. In the 2011 and 2012 versions of IPL, the side was lead by Daniel Vettori who is also the present coach of the team. At present, Virat Kohli is captaining the side from the past four seasons of IPL. Shane Watson has been appointed as captain of RCB for IPL 10 in place of injured Virat Kohli.
The RCB team which is the IPL franchise of Bangalore was formed in the first half of 2008 which is also the first season of IPL. Till then RCB has been an integral part of all the past nine IPL seasons. The team never managed to win any version of IPL but was stood as runners up in three seasons i.e. 2009, 2011 and 2016. The team also participated in Champions League T20 in 2011 but also ended as runners up. RCB has been one of the most star studded teams with players like Gayle, Watson, Kohli, AB, etc. but is yet to grab their first IPL title. The RCB team was brought by Vijay Mallya of United Spirits for a whooping 111.6 million US dollars in 2008. This was the second costly team of IPL after the Mumbai franchise.
The Bangalore franchise of IPL – RCB is owned by the United Spirits which is a multi-billion liquor company of India. Diageo is another company with some smaller shares. United Spirits is also the 2nd largest producer of alcohol in the world, in terms of volume. Vijay Mallya is the head of the United Spirits who has left India after a multi-billion bank loan scam. Right now, the RCB team will be directed by Russell Adams which is handpicked by Mallya to carry on the administrative works of RCB in his absence.
- It is the second most costly team of IPL which was brought by liquor tycoon Vijay Mallay. But has failed to justify its price without any IPL trophies.
- The home ground of RCB is Bangalore’s M Chinnaswamy Stadium where RCB plays all its home matches.
- The list of players which will be retained by RCB and will not be available for auction has already been announced. This retained list includes a total of 20 players out of which, 8 players are from overseas.
- The head coach of RCB is Danier Vettori who is also the ex-captain of the team. Bharat Arun is playing the role of Asst. Coach in the team. The responsibility of mentoring the bowlers is also given on the shoulders of Allan Donald.
RCB has played a total of 154 matches in IPL and CL T20 out of which it won 77 matches with winning percentage of 50.99 %. It has lost 74 matches in total. Also, 3 matches did not yield any result. It has a good win record in its home ground Bangalore where it has played 38 matches and won 21 out of them.
The team has two types of jerseys for home and away matches. The jerseys have gold, red and black tones. The names of players are printed in golden color. Zeven was the manufacturer of the RCB jersey which may be taken over by Puma this season.
The Logo of RCB itself speaks of royalty with the letters RC engraved in bold. Initially, the logo had one red circle where the RC was written and the outer circumference was colored in gold. In 2016, the RCB was modified and black color was included. The logo also consists of a big lion emblem.
The team RCB is known for their costly as well as star studded buys in IPL auctions. It is one of the most talked about IPL teams with a huge fan base. The team quote is “#Play Bold Live Bold”. In 2016, RCB team jersey was modified and new theme song was introduced namely ‘Play Bold’. RCB is known for it’s after match parties with several Bollywood celebrities attending. Whenever, the team plays in the Chinnaswamy Stadium, the RCB fans covered in all red scream their hearts out for the team.