IPL 10 Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) 2017 Team, Squad, Players, Captain, History, Owners, Facts, Records,Bowlers, Batsman, Jersey, Logo and Team Identity
About the Team
Sunrisers Hyderabad is an Indian Premier League team that has been in operation since the 2012 season and has played in every year since 2013. The team heads into the 2017 season as the reigning champions of the league. The team has been popular among many in the Hyderabad area and continues to be a strong contender for another possible championship.
The team has been noted for its consistent play in recent years. While there was a brief sense of instability in the team at the start, the team has managed to hold a sense of stability. Much of the team’s players have been retained in the last few years as it is aiming to keep itself afloat and strong. Plenty of new younger players are coming onto the team just as well. The team will continue to remain competitive as time goes along in the league.
IPL 10 2017 Team
The 2017 Sunrisers Hyderabad is looking to compete and defend its title. The team has brought back seventeen of its players. About Rs. 450 million is being spent on the team this year. This is an impressive feat for the team as all teams involved were subjected to the same auction process. The powerful competition from the Sunrisers made some of their players in high demand.
Tom Moody is returning as the coach of the Sunrisers. David Warner is expected to remain the captain of the team. The team also has a few new players including South African bowler Imran Tahir. The team is aiming to be a strong contender this coming season.
The team will compete in the IPL against the same other seven teams that make up the league. It will face off against plenty of competition including the rising Gujarat Lions. The Royal Challengers Bangalore, the runners-up to the Sunrisers in the past year, are especially expected to compete and challenge the team.
The players on the team include the following key figures:
- David Warner of Australia will be back as the captain for the third straight year. A left-handed batsman, once had seven ODI centuries in a single calendar year. This makes him the first Australian batsman to complete this feat. He has scored more than 5,200 runs in 60 test matches for Australia.
- With a salary of Rs. 95 million, batsman Shikhar Dhawan is the highest-paid player on the team. He had 501 runs last year with an average of 38.53 per match. A former captain of the team, he has also played in more than twenty test matches for India and received Man of the Match honors twice in those test matches.
- Yuvraj Singh will remain on the team this year, thus giving him stability in a career where he has played for four other IPL teams. The batsman has extensive experience in national ODIs for India as he has participated in nearly 300 matches.
- At 21 years of age, Deepak Hooda is aiming to lead the next generation of stars for the Sunrisers. He is an all-rounder with a right-arm off break bowling style. He has been competing for Baroda since 2012 and during the 2016-17 Ranji Trophy competition recorded his first double century.
Six players from the team have been there since 2014. This includes Naman Ojha, the sole player on the roster listed as a wicket-keeper. The team also has the limit of six overseas players with those players coming from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Bangladesh.
Tom Moody has been the coach of the team since its inception. The Australian played for Worcestershire throughout the 1990s. In addition to coaching the Sunrisers, he is also a cricket commentator who works for Channels Nine and Ten in Australia. Moody also has experience on the national level as he coached the Sri Lankan team from 2005 to 2007. He led the national team to a World Cup finals appearance in 2007. The team has not had any other coaches and has prided itself on its stability in terms of this important position for the team.
David Warner and Shikhar Dhawan are the only two players in Sunrisers history to spend at least a full season as a team captain. Dhawan was captain from 2013 to 2014. He left his captaincy position midway through the 2014 season due to inefficiency in that position but remained on the team.
During the 2013 season, Kumar Sangakkara and Cameron White were the captains. White replaced Sangakkara midway through that season. Warner’s tenure as captain marks the first time for the Sunrisers that there has been some form of consistency in terms of the captaincy for the team. Warner especially holds the record for having the best team win-loss record as a captain in the team’s history.
Sunrisers Hyderabad were formed in 2012 and started play in 2013. The team was formed as a replacement for the Deccan Chargers, another IPL team that had its membership terminated. The team started playing in 2013 and white they had two captains that year, they managed to reach the playoffs. The team was also in the Champions League Twenty20 but only finished in seventh out of twelve teams.
Much of the team players left in 2014 with only two players coming back. The team struggled to perform that year and was especially having a hard time competing outside India. This came as much of the season was moved to the UAE due to the Lok Sabha elections.
The 2015 season marked a time of stability as the team started to retain more of its players. It retains half its roster in that season as well as in 2016. During the 2016 season, the Sunrisers defeated the Kolkata Knight Riders and Gujarat Lions en route to the final where they defeated Royal Challengers Bangalore by eight runs. Bhuvneshwar Kumar led the league with 23 wickets. David Warner also led the team in runs with 848.
The name of the team comes from the ownership. Kalanithi Maran, the head of the Sun Group, is the owner of the team. He has become one of the wealthiest figures in India and has particularly held a strong interest in the national media.
The Sun Group operates much of the media around India. It runs the Sun Network, the Suryan AM Tamil radio station, the Red FM multilingual station, Sun Pictures, Tamil Murasu and the Dinakaran newspaper. Maran also held a share in Spice Jet for a period of time. Today Maran has a net worth of nearly $3.5 billion USD.
The team has not had any other owners in its history. The strong stability of the Sun Group and the wealth of Maran ensure that the team will not have to worry about struggles with money. This is different from many other teams in the league that have not been able to stay afloat due to a number of issues relating to finances and other key parts of team operations.
- While most teams in the IPL focus on auctions with a strong amount of money in mind, the Sunrisers focus more on strategic bidding. This focuses more on the positions the team feels it needs to emphasize on.
- Much of the Sunrisers’ strategy for operating the team is to establish improved contracts with many of team’s top players. This in turn reduces the risk of losing them in the auction. This also reduces the need for the team to compete against others in the auction as much as many others might.
- The team has a winning record against most of the teams in the IPL. This includes a perfect 3-0 record against the Gujarat Lions and a 6-2 record over Kings XI Punjab. The team also won both its matches against Pune Warriors India although that team is no longer operational.
- The team has housed a number of noteworthy players over the years. Among the top Indian players who have played for the team include Amit Mishra, Hanuma Vihari, Parthiv Patel and KL Rahul. In terms of overseas players, the team has had an array of players including Aaron Finch, Kevin Pietersen, JP Duminy and Quinton de Kock.
The Sunrisers have finished with a .500 or better record in all but one of its four years in operation. The team went 10-7 in 2013 and the fell to 6-8 in 2014. Their 11-6 record in 2016 is the best overall record for the team in its brief history.
For CLT20 competition, the team only competed in the 2013 edition. They went 3-3 with one NR and finished in seventh place. The team defeated the Faisalabad Wolves, Kandurta Maroons and Trinidad and Tobago in the competition.
The team attempted to qualify for the 2014 edition of CLT20 but failed to get in. The CLT20 event has since been abandoned as of 2015. There is no telling if the competition will return or even if the Sunrisers would compete in it if that was to come back.
The 2017 season marks a change for the jersey that the Sunrisers wear. While the jersey has the orange and black colors that have been consistent throughout the team’s history, Adidas will be making it this year. TYKA and Puma have both made jerseys for the team in the past. The Adidas jersey will feature a orange tone with a slight fade effect. The sides will have a solid black color.
Huawei will be the new front sponsor for the jersey. The Chinese company makes an assortment of mobile phone devices and other tech products. The team has had a different front jersey sponsor every year with prior sponsors including makemytrip, WHSmith, Red FM 93.5 and Ultratech.
The back sponsor this year will be Royal Stag. The company makes whisky and is operated by Pernod Ricard. Spicejet and Idea have both sponsored this part of the team’s jersey in the past.
The jersey itself remains a popular seller among IPL fans. People can order their own jerseys through the Sunrisers website or at various other events. The design of the jersey especially stands out among what many other teams wear in the competition.
The team plays its home games at the Rajiv Gandhi Stadium in Greater Hyderabad. The venue holds about 60,000 people for a match. The venue has hosted four test cricket matches in the past with the most recent being held in early 2017. The stadium features a flat track while flood lights have been added to support night matches.
There is a secondary stadium for the team in cases where its primary one is not available. ACDA-VDCA Cricket Stadium in Visakhapatnam is a venue that has about half the capacity as the team’s primary venue. The Sunrisers moved a few matches to this venue during the 2015 season. Although the stadium is not as active in terms of hosting cricket as many other venues around India, it did host a test match in 2016 against England and has hosted multiple ODI and T20I matches.
Logo and Team Identity
The logo for Sunrisers Hyderabad features an eagle with a bright sun effect. The sun is added as a reference to the Sun TV ownership that runs the team. The logo has an orange and bright red tone to it as well.
The team has been heralded for having one of the best crowds in the IPL. The team’s games are known to be big occasions in Hyderabad with strong attendance and plenty of cheering all around. The team has also been known for having a strong emphasis on spinners over pacers. This is primarily due to the flat track used on the field.
The competition that the Sunrisers Hyderabad brings to each match is especially strong. The team has competed well over the year and has developed a plan to be competitive and strong over time. Fans of cricket will be very interested in seeing what will develop next.